Blogs > Union Tally

A Philadelphia Union blog hosted by Christopher A. Vito and Matthew De George

Friday, August 24, 2012

AFTER UNION'S SCORELESS DRAW, HACKWORTH SEEKS JUSTICE FOR FARFAN

(Associated Press)
The video tells one side of the story. John Hackworth tells another.

"I think Michael Farfan should be getting a lot of credit for being an attacking player in this league, and I don’t think he gets any of it," the Union's interim manager said Friday, following the Union's 0-0 draw with Real Salt Lake. "How many times was he fouled tonight? Anybody know? Right now, this is a league-wide thing. If (Javier) Morales, who I think is absolutely one of the best players in this league, can get that respect, Michael Farfan deserves that, too." 

Hackworth spent the better part of his seven-minute, postgame press conference saying the Union deserved better ... and deserved respect.

He said more stoppage-time minutes should have been added to the clock. He said more fouls should have been called in his team's favor. He said, like he did midweek, that the Union have stayed away from altercations, rather than instigating them. He said the Union, a team that on paper should have been "whooped" by RSL, played to a draw.

And he said Farfan, an All-Star midfielder, deserved calls.

For what it's worth, I've embedded video of the call Hackworth's calling into question. It was in the 57th minute, when RSL's Chris Wingert and Farfan got tangled up on a challenge for the ball. Wingert takes down Farfan and Farfan responds with a jab at Wingert. Both picked up yellow-card bookings.


“The guy came up cleats-up on me and he kind of got me," said Farfan, who's one yellow-card booking away from a suspension. "I definitely thought it was a red card."

“I can’t really change what the refs do. I don’t think anyone can. I think I should just keep my mouth shut and keep on playing."

Farfan, clearly, was trying to avoid a fine or a suspension being levied upon him by the MLS Disciplinary Committee. And the Union, clearly, need points to keep this season relevant. Friday, both were at a crossroads.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home