Blogs > Union Tally

A Philadelphia Union blog hosted by Christopher A. Vito and Matthew De George

Saturday, August 25, 2012

ADU ON P.T.: "IT IS WHAT IT IS"

(PhiladelphiaUnion.com)
In the 78th minute Friday night, the Union summoned him.

In the 79th minute, he shed his warm-ups in favor of his game kit.

In the 80th minute, Freddy Adu was in the match.

It's not the role he had wanted, with Adu playing the final 10 minutes of a scoreless draw with Real Salt Lake, but Adu talked the talk afterward. He played the role of good company man, talking up his teammates while describing how difficult it is to make a difference in a game in which he only played 10 minutes.

Here's more from Adu after the match, including video below:

On his reduced role v. RSL
“It wasn’t like we were down. It was a pretty even game, in my opinion. At that point, my role changed today where he wanted to bring me in the game to make a difference. When I went in, I just tried to do that and I created a couple chances. Whatever. It is what it is. I thought we had more chances than them, but – at the end of the day – the game ended 0-0. I thought we could’ve – I mean, we wanted to get three points from this game. But one point, it’s not bad, but it’s not the greatest result."

On disappointment level, after speaking with John Hackworth about reduced minutes
“I mean, it’s, you know, I had a talk with him. You know, I felt like I did enough in D.C. to make him happy anyway. He thought I did well. That’s what he told me. He thought that Salt Lake, he wanted to clog the middle with Salt Lake and that’s why Gomez was in there and not a quote-unquote traditional winger. For the most part, we did a pretty good job with that. He told me to be ready to go into the game and (I hoped) by the time I got in the game, the game would’ve opened up. I just try to go with the right attitude and help the team win."

On trying to make an impact in only 10 minutes v. RSL
“It’s hard, but you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do to help the team win. Today was one of those days where I didn’t personally have a lot of minutes, but when I was going in, I was thinking, ‘Just make something happen. Create some chances. Whatever.’ I was able to do that. I was able to put them on their heels a little bit. Little things like that to help your team. It was OK from that standpoint. My teammates did a great job today. They didn’t give Salt Lake too many chances."

On how to keep the playoff window from closing
“We’ve just got to win. We’ve got to find ways to win. We can’t drop points right now. We don’t have to play our best soccer right now. We just have to find ways to win. … It’s starting to get the point where playoffs are starting to look a little far away. We need to start getting the points."


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home